Today is our birthday. We are entering the terrible twos. This year has been a whirlwind and we’ve realized that running a business is a marathon and a sprint all at the same time.
Two years ago, we sat down in our very small apartment and sent an email to everyone we knew (friends, ex-boyfriends moms, people we went to kindergarten with) and asked them to sign up for this new thing we had quit our jobs to start. We were very little on sleep but very big on adrenaline, drive, instinct, and hope.
Last year, we went out to dinner to mark our birthday. This year, we couldn’t all fit at the same table. We’re having three birthday parties — New York, Chicago, and LA. And are celebrating a very big year — big subscriber milestones, big team growth, and big plans. We’ve moved off the couch, hired our first employees, filled out our first RFP, gotten health insurance for our business, had Lena Dunham tweet about us, finished a fundraise, eaten a burger on the “Today” show, had too little desks for the first time, and enjoyed it all with a team!
Things we learned this year:
- How to lease an office
- How to hire someone
- How to break up with someone
- The difference between an HMO and a PPO (still working on that a bit)
- When you need to be a CCorp vs. an LLC
- What to wear on camera so you don’t look bad (still accepting tips)
- How to work with an investor
- How to say No
- How to prepare for a board meeting
- How to communicate with someone who codes
- How to make changes on the fly
- How to be managers (ongoing process)
- When to say ‘I need a break’
- When to give up trying to be good drivers and Uber
- How to make time to have lives (always a struggle)
- How you fit a couch into a room where the doorway isn’t big enough
- That building furniture is a great team bonding exercise
- How to celebrate
When we look back on what we have started to build, it is twofold. It is a Voice and it is a Community. The enthusiasm for theSkimm Life and engagement generosity of our community is truly unprecedented. It is because of all of you that we have come this far and on our birthday, we just want to say a very, very big THANK YOU. Now go eat some cake.